Thursday, July 2, 2009

Indie filmmaking in CT (no, the other Indie)

There's something very wrong with the state of indie filmmaking in CT. Namely, our movies kind of suck. I'm glad no one reads this blog, for I'm about to say some hurtful things, and I feel a kinship with the filmmaking community of our state. Still, our movies kind of suck.



I'll make my case. 17 years ago (that's nearly two freaking decades, two freaking decades during which time the most exciting technology advances in the history of filmmaking have occurred) Robert Rodriguez made El Mariachi for $7,000, the price of a used car. This is the result.



It's a b-movie for sure, but it's pretty good. It also won the audience prize at Sundance. Then, 16 years later, at nearly double the budget, we made this.



I know they had fun making this movie, and no one is happier than me to see their success. Honestly. Still, why do our movies look like they were shot on a second hand camcorder in someone's backyard? Probably because that's exactly how they were made, but let's move away from that.

Rodriguez is one talented bastard, for sure, but he wrote everything down! It's in a book! See? We can read this book and copy him! Our movies should be better and cheaper not worse and more expensive.

Argh, rant finished. I should practice what I preach, yah? Well I'll see you again in December and you can be the judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment